Sheptalina Elena Ivanovna, Candidate of pedagogical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of foreign languages, Don State Agrarian University (111 Pushkinskaya street, Novocherkassk, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Quality problems of higher education and their solutions have been discussed for a long time in the works of local and foreign researchers. Scientists discuss different aspects and approaches to optimize the quality of education, as well as models and criteria for its evaluation. However, the specific determination of the quality of language education in non-linguistic universities is still not completely solved and understood. Of particular importance in the present conditions of modernization of the educational system is a definition of quality from a position of the competence approach. Therefore, the problem of the present study is investigation of the very phenomenon of the quality of education and its interpretation in line with current trends in language training students. The purpose of the research is to develop a model to determine the quality of the system based on competency.
Materials and methods. During the conceptual analysis of domestic and international experience in determining the quality of education the author focused on major methodological principles and approaches articulated in the works by A. G. Bermus, N. V. Bordovskaya, E. A. Boyarsky, S. M. Kolomiets, N. A. Selezneva, M. Klinger, F. Multrus, N. Wirikler and others.
Results. The study identifies and summarizes the obvious and expected values and meanings that accompany the concept of “quality”, analyzes the main methodological principles and approaches to improve the quality of vocational education in universities, adduces recommendations how to modernize the quality of foreign language teaching in the non-linguistic university system, proposes structure determination and quality assessment from a perspective of the competency approach.
Conclusions. Based on the scientific approach to determine the quality of the system, the quality of language education is associated, first of all, with the status and effectiveness of formation of the communicative culture that ensures development of key and professional competencies of students. It should be stressed that the competence approach enhances our ability to develop strategies to optimize the quality of education and the choice of methodological tools that allow it to assess the quality.
quality, professional high education, system determining, competence approach, social-psychological factors, professional language competences, pedagogical conditions, foreign language
1. Celezneva N. A. Kachestvo vysshego obrazovaniya kak ob"ekt sistemnogo issledovaniya: lektsiya-doklad [The quality of higher education as an object of system research: lecture-report]. 3d ed. Moscow: Issledovatel'skiy tsentr problem kachestva podgotovki spetsialistov, 2003, 95 p.
2. Boyarskiy E. A., Kolomiets S. M. Vysshee obrazovanie segodnya [Higher education today]. 2007, no. 11, pp. 31–35.
3. Sheptalina E. I. Integratsiya nauki i obrazovaniya – strategiya ustoychivogo razvitiya vodnomeliorativnogo kompleksa strany: materialy Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Integration of science and education – the strategy of stable development country’s water reclamation complex: proceedings of the International scientific andpractical conference]. Novocherkassk: Lik, 2013, pp. 270–276.
4. Klinger M. Berufs- und Wirtschaftspädagogik – online [Professional and business education – inline]. August 21, 2011, 23 p. Available at: //www.bwpat.de/ausgabe21/klinger_bwpat21.pdf
5. Sheptalina E. Professional'no-yazykovye kompetentsii studentov-lesomelioratorov : monogr. [Professional-language competencies of students-forest reclamators: monograph]. Saarbryukken, Germaniya: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2011, 206 p. Available at: //www.lap-publishing.com
6. Bordovskaya N. V. Vysshee obrazovanie segodnya [Higher education today]. 2002, no. 9, pp. 18–20.
7. Wirikler H. Kriterien, Prozesse und Ergebnisse guter Hochschulausbildung [Criteria, processes and results of good university education]. Kassel, 1994, 122 p.
8. Sheptalina E. I. Problemy kachestva obrazovaniya v usloviyakh urovnevoy podgotovki spetsialistov: sb. nauch. st. Mezhdunar. nauch.-metod. konf. [Problems of educational quality in multi-level training of specialists: proceedings of the International scientific and practical conference]. Novocherkassk, 2012, pp. 184–188.
9. Multrus F. Hefte zur Bildungs- und Hochschulforschung [Books for education and university research]. Konstanz, Deutschland: Universität, 2013, April, pp. 1–4. – URL://www.uni-konstanz.de/ag-hochschulforschung
10. Sheptalina E. I. Problemy prikladnoy lingvistiki: sb. st. Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Problems of applied linguistics: proceedings of the International scientific and practical conference]. Penza: Privolzhskiy Dom znaniy, 2013, pp. 109–111.
11. Baydenko V. I. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii [Higher education in Russia]. 2004, no. 11, pp. 3–13.